Welcome to Murphy-Brown, LLC, the livestock production subsidiary of Smithfield Foods, Inc. As the world’s largest producer of pork products,
we’re committed to producing quality pork while protecting the environment and preserving family farms.
Here are some facts to help you get to know us:
- Our headquarters is in Warsaw, North Carolina. There are over 6,000 Murphy-Brown employees located in twelve states.
- We produce approximately 17 million market hogs each year.
- We own and manage approximately 450 hog farms in the U.S.
- We partner with over 1,500 independent farmers and contract growers in the U.S. to raise hogs.
- Murphy-Brown is committed to supporting worthy causes and organizations in communities where we operate.
- We are proud to be the first livestock operation in the world to achieve the coveted ISO 14001 certification of its Environmental Management System (EMS).
- Murphy-Brown leads the pork industry by ensuring animal well-being, responsible antibiotics use and animal traceability.
- We are committed to obtaining and maintaining certification of our production personnel and all of our farms under the Pork Quality Assurance®-Plus (PQA Plus®) program developed by the National Pork Board.
- We proudly subscribe to the Statement of Ethical Principles for the U.S. pork industry.
We were formed in 2001 when Smithfield Foods, Inc. acquired and combined three very successful, privately owned swine production companies. Prior to the acquisition, each of these private companies were major suppliers of hogs to Smithfield Foods.
These companies were all pioneers, leaders and innovators in hog production. By combining them under one roof, Murphy-Brown now carries on their commitment to produce quality foods while protecting the environment and preserving family farms.